◼️ The UEFA CL finalists will receive the French champions, led by Neymar, Cavani and Kylian Mbappé.
Liverpool and PSG will star in one of the most attractive matches at the week of this new Champions League edition. Both English and French have their minds set on lifting the trophy of the highest club tournament in Europe.
For their part, the Anfield will go out to enforce the house under the technical direction of Jurgen Klopp, while the Parisians will try to go with everything for a title with which they have been obsessed for a couple of seasons. Both teams are leaders in their main leagues.
— Liverpool FC (@LFC) September 17, 2018
These are other stats to keep in mind about the match:
– Liverpool has faced Paris Saint-Germain only twice, in the 1996/97 Cup Winners’ Cup semifinals. The two teams won one match each, although it was PSG that qualified for the final by the overall result (3-2).
– Robbie Fowler and Mark Wright scored the goals in Liverpool’s most recent showdown with PSG (2-0), the only time the French champion has visited Anfield.
– PSG will participate in its eleventh edition of Champions League, and its seventh consecutive. Only Lyon (15) has participated in more editions among French clubs.
– This is the first Liverpool matchup against a French club in the Champions League since the 2009/10 season when the Reds lost 1-2 to Lyon at Anfield after drawing 1-1 in French territory in the group stage.
– Liverpool have won seven of their previous 12 European Cup / Champions League matches against French clubs (1T 4L), although they have fallen in two of the last three at home (1V).
– PSG doesn’t know the victory in its last four Champions League matches against English teams (3T 1L) and has only kept a clean sheet once in the last twelve games of this type, in the draw at Stamford Bridge in the phase of groups of the 2004/05 course.
– PSG forward Edinson Cavani has scored eight goals in 14 Champions League appearances against English teams, one in the last two games (both against Arsenal).
– Last season, Liverpool became the first team to have three players with 10 or more goals in an edition of the European Cup / Champions League (Salah, Firmino, Mané, all with 10 goals each).
– Liverpool coach Jürgen Klopp has reached the knockout stage in four of his previous five appearances as a coach in the Champions League, losing two finals (in 2013 with Borussia Dortmund and in 2018 with Liverpool).