◼️ The Los Angeles Dodgers lost the second game of the World Series and the Boston Red Sox lead 2-0, a cabalistic or fateful number in the world of baseball.
For the second battle of the 2018 World Series, the L.A. Dodgers sent the Korean Hyun-Jin Ryu to the mound, while Boston used David Price as their starter. Home teams that win the first 2 games of a best-of-7 postseason series have gone on to win the series 82% of the time (46-10).
But what is the 0-2 curse that the Los Angeles Dodgers have to break?
The Boston Red Sox win Game 2 against the Dodgers and take a 0-2 advantage. In the World Series, the team that wins 4 games out of 7 is crowned World Series champion, so the ‘redheads’ would be very close to their great goal, the title. No team has overcome a 2-0 World Series deficit in 22 years. That’s what Dodgers are facing against Red Sox as they head home to LA.
In fact, in all the history in World Series, of 52 teams that have had a 2-0 advantage, only 10 have lost it. So almost no team manages to lift a 0-2. The funny thing is that the Dodgers have been one of those 10 teams, who managed to overcome after losing the first two games of the World Series. It happened in 1955, 1965, and 1981.
The 10 teams that defeated the 0-2 curse
- Brooklyn Dodgers, 1955 (4-3 to Yankees)
- New York Yankees, 1956 (4-3 to the Brooklyn Dodgers)
- New York Yankees, 1958 (4-3 at Milwaukee Braves)
- Los Angeles Dodgers 1965 (4-3 to Minnesota)
- Pittsburgh Pirates, 1971 (4-3 to Baltimore)
- New York Yankees, 1978 (4-2 to Dodgers)
- Kansas City Royals, 1985 (4-3 to San Luis)
- Los Angeles Dodgers, 1981 (4-2 to Yankees)
- New York Mets, 1986 (4-3 to Boston)
- New York Yankees, 1996 (4-2 to Atlanta)