Meetings between the United States and the Taliban are set to begin next week in Doha, the capital of Qatar. The two sides are set to hold talks for the second time since the Taliban took control of Afghanistan. The group said on Wednesday that a “new chapter” in the Taliban’s political ties with the United States would begin.

The United States and the Taliban met in the first round on October 9 and 10, AFP reported. An announcement was made by Washington last Tuesday to continue the talks.

The Taliban posted a post on their official Twitter account about the upcoming meeting. The matter of meeting there next week has been confirmed. The Taliban said in a tweet that talks would be held to start a new chapter in political relations between the two countries. They will also discuss ways to resolve Afghanistan’s economic crisis and implement the terms of the previous Doha Accords.

The State Department said the proposed talks with the Taliban would last two weeks. There will be discussions on dealing with the threat posed by various Islamic militant groups, including Al Qaeda, and humanitarian assistance to Afghanistan. At the same time, efforts will be made to secure the Afghans who have worked for the United States in the last 20 years of war in Afghanistan.

The US delegation to Doha will be led by Thomas West, the US special envoy to Afghanistan. The U.S. official said last week that the Taliban would have to meet certain conditions to gain Washington’s economic and diplomatic support. The Taliban must form an inclusive government. The rights of women and minorities must be respected. At the same time, they need to bring equality in education and job opportunities.

Last week, West insisted that any financial and diplomatic support from Washington to the Taliban was based on certain conditions.

He said the Taliban have to install an inclusive government, respect the rights of minorities, women and girls, and provide equal access to education and employment.

Amir Khan Muttaqi, foreign minister of the Taliban government — which is not recognised by the international community — last week called for the release of Afghan assets frozen by the US in an open letter to the US Congress.

Talks will also focus on how to offer safe passage out of Afghanistan for US citizens and Afghans who worked for Washington during the 20-year war.

Meanwhile, Amir Khan Muttaki, the Taliban’s foreign minister, wrote an open letter to the US Congress last week. There he called for the release of money from the Afghan Reserve, which is stuck in the United States.

Previous articleMother and daughter are going to space after winning the lottery
Next articleAchieving SDGs requires the use of new technologies in the garment industry

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here